Cleaning your sofa seems like a straightforward task. But have you ever tried to clean the couches? Well, if you did, it goes without saying that it is tough.
Any couch owner, who loves to decorate his home, would never let a dirty couch ruin the entire look. But cleaning the sofa requires an ample amount of knowledge.
Without knowing what type of couch fabric it has, and how to clean it, you will either destroy the material or remove its essential shine.
So in this article, we will try to help all the confused people, who are new to sofa and couch cleaning, especially polyester sofa covers.
Even though polyester is one of the finest fabrics for upholstery, at the same time, it can be the toughest to maintain. It all comes down to how you have kept your sofas, and who is using the articles.
If it’s the kids, then are pretty sure that regular cleaning is an obligation. Otherwise, you can act lazy.
Cleaning Spills off Polyester
The one main fear we all have when sitting on a sofa is spills. No one wants to have that dark sticky spot on their favorite couch. Even if you clean or vacuum a sofa daily, there still can be those spots.
I believe most of these spots go unnoticed, but the panic you get just by looking at them is really horrific.
So how would you clean those spills? Now there can be two conditions, you might find old, dry, and stuck spills on the sofa, or the other way round, it just happened right in front of you.
Cleaning a Fresh Spot
Cleaning a fresh liquid spot on your sofa is easier. All you need is a towel or dry cloth. Place it at the spot, press it gently, in a way that you are squeezing that area. This will make the liquid come out.
Now with the help of some dry tissues or tablecloths, gently rub the area. You should wait for some time, till the spot dries. If it is something sweet, then using a liquid detergent to clean the spot is necessary. The same method goes for cleaning the oil spots.
Cleaning an Old Spill Spot
It will be dried up, and only the rough surface or color will show the spot. Now to clean it you need some strong ingredients.
You will need to follow these simple steps.
- Take a bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of dishwashing soap or surf. You can add more according to the size of the dried-up spot.
- Now add one glass of water to it. Remember the first goal is to make it damp so that it would be easier to take off the spot.
- Now, take a cleaning cloth. Put it in the soap solution.
- Squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Press the dampened cloth on the spot. Repeat this three to four times.
- Once you are sure that the spot is coming off, get another dry cloth.
- Now gently scrub that area, and squeeze the spot.
- Continue doing it for three to four minutes.
- The spot will be gone after repeating it two to three times.
Cleaning Polyester Sofa Using a Dry Brush
You cannot leave your sofa set without cleaning. Even if it is occasionally used, you should dry clean it once in a while.
Many people complain that they either don’t have the equipment or the time. Well, if you are stuck because of the equipment then worry not, a dry brush with a few soft bristles can help.
Whenever you are sitting on the sofa, get that brush, and gently scrub it against the sofa cover. This is it.
You cannot follow this cleaning ritual on any other fabric, except the ones that are very elastic, and fortunately polyester is the one. It will not damage the quality of the polyester fabric.
Dry cleaning with a Vacuum Cleaner
Now, who would not water to get rid of all the allergens? As polyester is highly elastic thus, there is a huge risk of allergens settling in. Therefore the best way to clean your sofa is using a vacuum cleaner. We will suggest you buy one or borrow one sometime when you are in the mood to clean the polyester upholstered sofas.
A Deep Cleaning Twice a Year
We believe that in winter, people are most likely to use the sofas. Therefore, the onset of spring, and before the first chills of winter settle in both are the right times to clean the polyester sofas.
To deep clean the polyester sofas, you need to follow these steps.
Read the labels
When you have bought the upholstery cloth from a vendor or a brand, then chances are that there will be some labels. To properly clean the sofas, you must read those labels carefully. For your assistance let us explain each one to you.
- A label with “W” says that you can use water-based cleaners to clean that type of polyester fabric.
- A label with “S” means you cannot use water, only special solvents will be the best solution to clean that fabric.
- S/W means you can use any.
- X means you cannot follow either. Only dry cleaning will help.
How to Deep Clean a Polyester Sofa?
Now moving toward the deep cleaning method. It is easy if you have empty space around the sofa.
- In case you have placed the sofa set in a congested place, take it out in an empty space. It can be your porch or garden.
- Now according to the labels, get a cleanser or the solvents.
- Follow the instructions given to make the solution for the solvent or cleansers.
- Get a brush or a foam.
- Put that brush or foam in the created solution.
- Scrub it gently all over the sofa.
- Now let that air dry.
- Do not use any type of dryer, because heat will damage the molecules of the polyester fabric, causing deformation.
Cleaning a polyester sofa is easy when you know all the essential steps. Simply following a buying guide about polyester upholstery is not enough. You need to take care of the product for as long as possible.