What is Upholstery?
Before discussing Car Upholstery, let’s talk about the word Upholstery! What does the term Upholstery mean?
Well, the term upholstery was introduced in upgrading or molding old sofa into new by changing; leather top, adding more to cushions, replacing old springs with new, and adding new looks to its general appearance. It used to refer for your home sofas, chairs or your auto seats.
But It has now grown widely covering home furniture, curtains, auto detailing including interior and body paint other than legendary sofa upgrade. And now as expanding more to its meaning is commonly in use for remodeling boats and small aircraft for the same, adding the alteration of fiber body to yachts.
Okay now, let’s come to the main topic!
What is Car Upholstery?
Upholstery is gradually changing its meaning towards auto detailing. In other words, covering the formation of old car seats into modern articulated seats, doors interior upgrade… etc
Car Upholstery includes dashboard tops, body-paint, front and back lights customization, replacement of old tire rim with fancy alloy rims. It also deals with the replacement of old heavyweight engine with a new efficient lightweight engine and much more.
Guidance to Learn How to Clean Car Upholstery
Learning how to clean car upholstery can be made simple when you follow the guidelines in steps. For this, you need to know start with the removable parts of the upholstery. These are the fabrics, cushions, headliners, sun visors, carpets, panel covers, steering wheel covers and dashboard upholstery. Once you have taken them out you can clean them individually. The rest of the interior non-removable upholstery can be cleaned with the help of vacuum cleaners, air blowers, steam blowers and other tools.
Step 1 – How to Clean Car Upholstery Accessories
- The car carpet is the first part you would like to clean. Take a large container and fill it with warm water. Add two cups of carpet cleaning shampoo and stir well. Dip the carpet and let it soak for about 20 minutes. Then you can use a brush to scrub the carpet all over. If there are any stains, dirt and soil deposits you need to spray the stain and dirt removing liquid on those specific spots. Soak again for another 15 minutes and scrub. This will take out all the stain marks. Let the carpet day in the sun.
- The interior fabrics like the neck and lower back cushions, seat cushions window screens and accessories covers can be cleaned with foam based fabric cleaners. Use small sized brushes to remove the stains. Wash the cushion covers made of fabrics with liquid concentrates mixed in water.
Step 2 – How to Clean Car Upholstery Interiors
- The first part you need to clean is the ceiling. Use a soft cloth to rub the entire surface for removing the dirt and dust. Then spray the stain remover and use the scrubber. Be careful while cleaning any electronic and remote sensing installations. You can use a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar to remove the stains.
- You can now proceed to vacuum cleaning the seats. Make sure that you have removed the dirt and dust from the corners and grooves. Use the stain removing liquid and tough to clean stains and soil accumulations. You need to let the liquid soak the spots before scrubbing. Hard stains from grease can be tough to clean. But you can’t afford to use hard brushes on seat upholstery fabrics for the fear of causing scratches and tear marks. Hence you need to be vigilant in the process of scrubbing.
Use the concentrated liquid instead of mixing it with water and other solvents.For this, you can depend on spray types which have stronger concentrated liquids which can be used directly. At the same time, you need to ensure that they are free from chemical ingredients which can corrode the upholstery material.
- You can find seams on the car seats which attract dirt and dust. You need to use a toothbrush for cleaning these areas.
- Then proceed to vacuum the dashboard and the front panel completely. Avoid using water-based liquids for the panels. Instead, you can opt for aerosol based liquids which dry faster without leaving any spots.
- Use a steam cleaner on the interior upholstery all over. This will take out the hardest of dirt and grease spots with ease. You can use only water or combination of water with cleaning liquids for generating the steam. For this, you need to use the liquids which can evaporate faster. Water based liquids are said to be ideal for this. If you are using the steam cleaner on metal surfaces you can opt for oil based cleaning liquids to be mixed with water for generating steam. They should have the ingredients with rustproof characteristics.When you steam treat the metallic surfaces in this method you are ensuring a protective layer of rust proof ingredients also.
- Now you can clean the car floor and the seats with pressure wash. When you do this you can also clean the external surfaces and parts of the car. You need to be careful to avoid splashing of water into the electronic gadgets, so control the water blow. Then you can use a hot air blower to dry the cleaned upholstery.
- The whole process of car upholstery cleaning can be done using manual or automated methods. If you are using manual methods you will be opting for handheld devices and equipment which can be time-consuming. On the other hand, automated upholstery cleaning can lower the time consumption and ensure accurate cleaning also.
For this, you need to take your car to a professional service provider who knows how to clean car upholstery in a methodical manner. This may be expensive compared to manual cleaning, but you can experience the practical benefits of efficient workmanship and long life of your upholstery. This can also ensure cleaner and hygienic environment within your car interiors.