Everything about Car Upholstery Repair
The process of Car Upholstery Repair is said to be as complex or simple as the original methods of upholstering the furniture. Efficient management of materials, methods, and machinery plays an important role in the effectiveness of the Car Upholstery Repair. You can find an array of hand tools, guns, studs, pneumatic and electrical machines, accessories and the complete set of Auto Upholstery materials. The domain of Car Upholstery Repair can be so vast that you need an encyclopedia to understand the terms and application areas fully. Here the focus is on certain specific aspects related to some of the Car Upholstery elements.
Car Upholstery Repair – Seats
- The first step is to inspect the seats and learn about the nature and intensity of the damaged or worn out parts. This will help you in determining the type of repair as well las the material, method and tools to be used. Make sure that you have access to all these elements before starting the task.
- Prepare a logical flow chart of the procedures to be followed in steps. The application of tools and materials in each stage has to be categorized separately and listed out in detail. If you don’t have any specific item in stock, search for any alternates which you have in hand that may be used. Now you can start the process straight away.
- The next step for car upholstery repair of seats is to take out the backrest. This makes it easier to pull out the cover and repair the parts. Dot it by unfastening the bolts and screws provided at the base and sides of the seat.
- Upon careful examination of the seat cover, you can see some clips at the corners. By pulling out them you will be able to remove the cover. This will give you direct access to the bolts and fasteners. Remove the bolts and screws. You need to follow the same procedure for the backrest removal also. Take out the base of the seat and reverse it. You can see plastic hooks on the sides of the cover which attach it to the frame. Remove the hooks and take out the seat cover completely.
- Now you can see the foam and cushion inside the frame. The leather seat cover is stitched at the middle with the cushion and attached to the inner metallic frame to avoid shaking. These stitches have to be removed with the help of a cutter tool. Now the cushion comes free off the frame.
- Now you need to examine the nature of damage to the cushion and the cover. In most of the cases i8t it is recommended that you discard the foam cushion and install a new one. Then you can examine the seat cover for damages. See if it is possible to stitch the torn parts with extra leather attachments of the similar type and color if the seat cover is made of expensive leather, you can think of getting it stitched, polished, brushed and restored. Check the attached foam at the inner part of the fabric. If that is damaged or torn you need to replace it. unstitch the foam with the help of a sharp cutter and stitch remover. Be careful while removing the stitches not to damage the inner layers of the fabric.
- Now you need to attach the new piece of foam (exactly the same dimension of the one you removed) and stitch it. You need to use the right sort of sewing needle and the thread to make it hold strong. Here you might feel like stapling the foam which makes your task easier. But it can affect the long life of the foam. Hence you need to avoid stapling.
- Fix the other torn parts of the fabric by stitching them with cut pieces of similar material and color. You need to take care for maintaining the exterior appearance of the finishing. So it is recommended that the cut pieces be added to the internal layers. If you find the seat cover damages beyond repair you need to opt for a new seat cover.
- Place the new foam pad onto the seat’s base and put the cover back on. The foam at the inner part of the fabric has to be stitched and attached to the metal frame as it was done in the original design). Cover up the seat completely and put back the screws and bolts. Put back the clips at the corners. Now the seat base is ready for use.
Repeat the same procedure for the backrest of the seat. Once the process is complete, put back the backrest and fix the bolts and screws. Similarly, you can find procedures for the Car Upholstery Repair of other parts.