The fundamental characteristics of Boat Upholstery are to protect your yacht from stress and strain from exposure to external elements like the sun, water, and wind.
If you happen to venture into the high seas, they can guard your boat’s expensive equipment against the effects of corrosion from salt water and wind.
The Boat Upholstery can beautify the desk, bedding, seats and sofas and other furniture and fixture used within the boat enclosures. So you are getting multiple benefits from the unique range of products in the Boat Upholstery.
Make sure that you install high-quality boat upholstery which is certified for quality and reliability for the rough usage. Learn How to Recover a Vinyl Boat Seat in no time. Things you are going to learn are: How to reupholster a boat bench seat. How to build your own boat seats. You can save your money!
How to Reupholster a Boat Seat in Simple Steps!
Reupholstering Vinyl Boat Seats can be easily done by yourself, instead of going to professionals. It doesn’t take much effort or time but you can save some bucks if you choose to do it yourself. However, if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself then you can always go to the professionals.
List of equipment you need to reupholster boat seats.
- Knife & Scissor
- Upholstering fabric
- Marker or pencil
- A Staple-gun Recommended: Porter-Cable Upholstery Stapler
- Needle and Thread
Step 1: Use a screwdriver to take out the screws from the seat so that you can unfasten the seat and save the screws to use them later.
Step 2: Remove the staples from the fabric to remove the fabric from the seat.
Step 3: Use a knife to strip out the stitches from the cloth so that you can lay the fabric out flat.
Step 4: Measure the old fabric so that you know how much fabric you need to buy for the reupholstering. Measure the length, width, and thickness of the fabric and add an extra inch so that you do not run short of the fabric while stitching the fabric together.
Step 5: Use a marker or a pencil to trace out the design of the new fabric from the old one. The new fabric should be traced out exactly as the old one as we need to place the new fabric on the boat seat as old one.
Step 6: Use scissors to make the necessary cuts in the fabric for stitching.
Step 7: Sew the new fabric over the seat. The fabric should be stitched tightly so that it fits the seat completely. Fold the excess fabric underneath the seat and then staple it there using a staple gun.
Step 8: Use a screwdriver and the screws to reattach the seat in place.
Tools You Need for it:
Porter-Cable US58 Upholstery Stapler-Gun
About the Product:
- It is very easy to use a pneumatic stapler that comes with various useful features.
- It comes with standard Senco C Type 22-gauge.
- It uses 3/8 inch crown staples from 1/4 to 5/8 inch long.
- It is small and lightweight which makes it portable and easy to use.
- It only weighs 1.75 pounds.
We would recommend you Porter-Cable Upholstery Stapler as it is the best suitable staple gun for upholstering the boat seats.
Most professionals use the Porter-Cable upholstery stapler and also recommend it because it is the easiest to use and affordable
How to Clean Boat Upholstery in 5 Minutes
Most often we see that out boat seat upholstery gets dirty over time when we are using the boat to go around. It is very important to keep your boat upholstery clean and well maintained in order to make it last longer. You can follow the steps given below to clean your boat upholstery using just some common household cleaning agents.
- We will use hydrogen peroxide and warm water to keep mold and mildew growth to a minimum without using harsh chemical agents. Mix one part hydrogen peroxide and one part water in a spray bottle. Check the best upholstery cleaners
- Spare the solution onto the vinyl surface And let it sit for a minute. Scrub it all over the surface of the seat. Mix half teaspoon Castile soap, half teaspoon washing soda, 2 cups water and 15 to 20 of tea tree essential oil in a spray bottle.
- After scrubbing the hydrogen peroxide mixture, Spray this mixture onto the vinyl surface and wipe down all surface with a clean rag.
- Let it dry and make sure that l there is no moisture in the vinyl.
You will have clean and mold free boat upholstery by following these steps. You can furthermore use any Vinyl protectant of your choice to keep your boat upholstery protected from any damage by water and sunlight and improve the lifespan of your boat upholstery.
9 Best Upholstered Boat Seats to Buy in 2018
Although you can take care of your boat pretty well by making good efforts to keep the hull clean and keeping the surface of the boat protected from the sun and other things. But the most important and difficult part in making your boat look beautiful is maintaining the look of your boat seats. The grace of your boat seats upholstery might wear off with time and they might start looking dull as they go through a lot of harsh use. You can improve the looks of your boat by either putting in new seat covers or having the old seats reupholstered or by adding benches or either by purchasing new seats for your boat. These things might not be as easy as they sound and you might have to put in a lot of effort for each one but you can improve the beauty of your boat and have a sophisticated looking boat by doing all of this.
1- Wise 36-Inch Pontoon Bench Seat Cushion
It is featured with high impact rotational molded plastic base, injection molded plastic seat frame system, 26 oz marine grade vinyl with UV and mildew inhibitors, high compression virgin foam padding and aluminum and stainless steel hardware. It is very easy to assemble. You only get wise 36” Pontoon Bench Seat Cushion only and have to purchase the seat base separately to complete the pontoon seat. The Wise 36-Inch Pontoon Bench Seat Cushion has a hinged lift up cushion design for storage access. You get a 6-year warranty for the frame system and also a 3-year warranty for the upholstery. The dimensions of the product are 37.8 x 23.5 x 12.5 inches. It weighs just about 30 pounds.
- Easy to assemble, this bench seat cushion comes with hardware and you can assemble it very easily on your own.
- You get a 6-year warranty for the frame system.
- You also get a 3-year warranty for the upholstery.
- The Wise 36-Inch Pontoon Bench Seat Cushion has a hinged lift up cushion design for storage access.
2- Wise 8WD1458 Blast-Off Tour Series Folding
This 42” wide folding bench seat is featured with Marine grade treated plywood frame with OEM grade aluminum Hinges, Marine grade UV and mildew treated vinyl, high compression foam padding and double top-stitched construction. This folding bench can be mounted with any flat surface using the piano Hinges (included). The dimensions of the product are width 43”, height 23.5”, depth 23.5”, seat depth 17.6”. You get a 6-year warranty on frame and also a 3-year warranty on the upholstery. The product weighs just about 32 pounds. It is very easy to mount.
- High compression foam padding.
- It has a Stylish and unique look.
- Piano hinges are provided with the product, making it easy to mount this folding bench to any flat surface.
- There is a 6-year warranty on the frame.
- You also get a 3-year warranty on the upholstery.
Best Upholstered Boat Seats in 2018
3- Tempress All Weather High Back Seat
This Tempress all-weather high back seat is an amazing choice for your boat. It has been a durable standard for over 20 years. These seats even outlast your boat thanks to its bulletproof design and heavy duty construction. It’s not only durable but also comfortable. It is featured with a double contoured seat pan that eliminates pressure points. The stainless steel hinges pins secure the fold down back and include ¼” x 20 t-nuts allow mounting to any standard marine swivel, slide or seat spider. The product includes custom fitted cushion (also available as an individual/replacement item). The dimensions of the product are 18 ½” H x 18 ¼” W x 17” D. It weighs just 12 pounds.
- This seat has durable and long-lasting construction.
- The double contoured seat pan eliminates the pressure points.
- The fold down back is secured by stainless steel hinge pins.
- The product has a custom fitted cushion.
- The seat is very easy to install in your boat.
- It is made in America.
4- Seamander S1043 Series Premium Bucket Sports Seat
The Seamander S1043 Series Premium Bucket Seat, Sports Flip Up Seat has a high-density plastic rotational molded frame. You can easily flip up the bolster for standing or leaning positions. It is featured with high compression, OEM grade foam padding, marine grade soft touch vinyl loaded with UV and mildew inhibitors. You can fix this seat on universal 5” x 5” and 5” x 12” mounting bolt patterns. The dimensions of the product are, Height 23.6” x Width 20.5” x Depth 26”. The seat just weighs about 24.6 pounds.
- The seat has marine grade soft touch vinyl, loaded with Uv and mildew inhibitors.
- It fits universal 5” x 5” and 5” x 12” mounting patterns, matching most applications.
- The bolster can be flipped up for standing and leaning positions.
- This seat is not only sturdy but also comfortable.
- It is very easy to mount.
5- Wise Classic Stripe High Back Boat Seat
Wise Classic Stripe High Back Boat Seat is featured with no-pinch aluminum hinges, plastic injection molded seat frame, marine grade 28 oz and UV and mildew treated vinyl and also marine grade high compression foam padding. This product comes with mounting hardware so you can easily mount the seat to any standard BIA 4 bolt pedestal system. The dimensions of this product are Height 23.25”, Width 16.5”, Depth 20”, and Seat Depth 14.25”. You get a 6-year warranty on the frame and also a 3-year warranty on the upholstery. The approximate weight of this product is 10.9 pounds.
- This is a very good quality seat and not just comfortable but durable as well.
- It comes with mounting hardware, making it easier for you to mount the seat to any standard BIA 4 bolt pedestal system.
- There is a 6-year warranty on the frame.
- You also get a 3-year warranty on the upholstery.
6- Leader Accessories A Pair of Back Folding (2 Seats )
This pair of new low back folding boat seats by Leader Accessories is a beautiful upgrade for your boat. It is available to you in different colors, so you can choose the one that looks good to you. This pair of new low back folding boat seats features UV treated marine grade vinyl, anodized aluminum hinges and is designed to fit your body’s contour completely. This seat can be mounted on your boat using the standard 5” x 5” mounting bolt pattern. The dimensions of this product are W 16” x D 14” x H 19”. It weighs just about 16 pounds.
- The product is available in different colors so you can choose the best one for your boat.
- This pair has UV treated marine grade vinyl.
- It uses the standard 5” x 5” mounting bolt pattern.
- These are made with high-quality material and are very comfortable and sturdy.
- It weighs approximately about 16 pounds.
7- Leader Accessories Two-Tone Captain’s Bucket Seat Premium Sports
The dimensions of the seat are H 23.5” x D 26” x W 20.5”. This is a beautiful two-tone seat and you can choose from the color: White/Blue, White/Red, White/Charcoal, White/Black. It is featured with the finest, mildew and UV treated, marine grade vinyl and high-density foam padding providing maximum support. It also has stainless steel fasteners and a rigid plastic backrest. You can flip up the bolster for added seat height. You can use the 5” x 5” or the 5” x12” bolting pattern for the sliders. Four mounting screws and washers are included. It weighs about 25.4 pounds.
- It is featured with finest marine grade vinyl with mildew resistant and UV treated.
- The high-density foam padding provides maximum support.
- You have a few two-tone color combinations to choose from.
- It is very comfortable and is sure to last long.
- You can flip up the bolster for added seat height.
Best Fishing Boat Seats in 2018
8- New Standard Stripe High Back Folding Fishing Boat Seat
This new standard stripe high back folding fishing boat seat from Seamander is featured with marine grade heavy duty fabric, UV treated and mildew resistant. It has an injection molded high impact marine grade plastic seat frame and anodized aluminum hinges. These seats have high compression foam padding. You can easily mount these to any standard 4 bolt swivel/pedestal system with the included fasteners. These seats easily fit the standard 5” x 5” mounting bolt pattern. The dimensions of the product are H 23.25” x W 16.5” x D 15.25”. It weighs just about 23.6 pounds.
- These seats are very comfortable and have high compression foam padding.
- These seats are featured with UV treated and mildew resistant, marine grade heavy duty fabric.
- These seats easily fit the standard 5” x 5” mounting bolt pattern.
- It is very easy to install these seats on your boat.
- These seats have an injection molded high impact Marine grade seat frame.
9- Premium Fishing/Hunting Low Back Fold-Down Boat Seats
This premium fishing/hunting low back fold down Boat seats is made of Marine grade heavy duty fabric. These seats are very comfortable and very well made. These seats have anodized aluminum Hinges, injection molded high impact Marine grade seat frames. These seats have good quality and high compression foam padding. The dimensions of the product are H 29.75”, W 15.75”, D 14.75”. These seats have a weight limit of up to 225 LB. You can easily mount these to any standard 4 bolt swivel/pedestal system with included fasteners. The weight of the product is around 22 pounds.
- These seats are very comfortable and have high compression foam padding.
- These seats can be easily mounted to any standard 4 bolt swivel/pedestal system.
- These seats can hold up to 225 LB.
- These seats have an injection molded high impact marine-grade seat frame.
- These seats are made of Marine grade heavy duty fabric.
Best Boat Top Cover for Your Boat
1- MSC 3 Bow Bimini Top Boat Cover with Rear Support Pole
MSC 3 Bow Bimini Top Boat Cover with Rear Support Pole and Storage Boot protects you and your boat from the sun and rain. It is made of 1” anti-rust and strong aluminum frame, marine grade 600D polyester canvas with double PU coating and nylon/stainless steel fittings. The standard Bimini top is partially assembled can easily be installed by one or two people in a few minutes. There are different sizes available. You can choose the one that fits your boat. The available sizes are: 6’L x 46″H x 54″-60″W & 6’L x 46″H x 61″-66″W & 6’L x 46″H x 67″-72″W & 6’L x 46″H x 73″-78″W & 6’L x 46″H x 79″-84″W & 6’L x 46″H x 85″-90″W. The mounting hardware and assembly instruction manual are provided to make the installation process easy. You also get two rear support pole and a storage boot.
- This boat cover is made of 1” anti-rust and strong aluminum frame, marine grade 600D polyester canvas with double PU coating and nylon/stainless steel fittings.
- You get a 2-year warranty on materials and a 5-year warranty on the frame.
- The mounting hardware and assembly instruction manual provided with the boat cover make it very easy to assemble.
Best Fabric for Boat Upholstery
Bedding, pillows, and cushions are your most preferred companions in the interiors. You can choose the fabric from marine vinyl, leather, nylon, polyester, polyurethane and other forms of water and dust resistant materials. You can also opt for velvet, silk, cotton, and wool for interior upholstery in the closed cabins. For the metal surface, you can use rustproof coatings. If the bed size is small (in cases of small boats and yachts) it is better to use leather covers on the beds. This makes the bed warmer during winters. In case of large beds leather could be a hindrance for cleaning and maintenance. Hence you can opt for polyurethane covers.
They are said to be warmer by the inherent nature of the material. But you have the risk of escalating fires. So you need to avoid the use of fire sources in the vicinity of such beds. Cotton fabric is said to be highly flexible in nature and it is recommended for children and elderly. The upholstery fabric gives softening effects to the body and comforts while sleeping.
Boat mattresses made of various types of materials. Zip and split mattresses are recommended for small size boats while luxury foam mattresses are considered to be ideal for large size cabins. Check out the best mattress for your boat.
You can opt for memory foam the sofas beds to overcome the physical stresses and seasickness which are common while traveling on high seas. Memory foam stretches uniformly all around your body and provides healing effects. The material can also be used for seat and sofa covers to increase the elegance of the furniture. The other commonly used materials are denim, leather, polyurethane, and cotton.
Boat Interior Design Ideas
Boat Upholstery for curtains, draping and other interior decorations can be fixed with the help of eye screws and dowels. You can use the tabs to push aside the curtains instead of folding them. Customizable curtain panels can be used to cover the windows and doors of the interior cabins. Make sure that the curtains don’t hinder the ventilation within the boat interiors during the daytime.
For this, you can use a combination of lightweight fabrics and heavy ones. Use sliders and removable tabs and screws so that you can exchange the upholstery fabric easily.
Best Boat Upholstery Kits For your Boat
Boat Upholstery kits for carpets is a set which you can use and replace easily. The multiple carpets you get are easily washable. They are resistant to moisture, mildew, fire, ravel and other external elements. The yarns need to be highly flexible and stress resistant. Boat Upholstery carpets with rubber and metal mesh backing can be used for many years without developing blisters and breaks. Aluminum meshes are preferred as they are rustproof in nature. Installing metal screws at the corners of the carpets can ensure slip-free surface. You can also search online for the other types of Boat Upholstery to suit your beautiful yacht. Removable carpets are recommended for easy and faster cleaning and maintenance. There are many quality boat seat upholstery materials
- FORTIVO Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit
- CarGuys Cleaner- Best for Leather Vinyl Carpet Upholstery
- Stainless Steel Marine Grade Canvas and Upholstery Boat Button Fastener Kit
Is Boat Upholstery Worth it?
Upholstery brings new life to your boat. It is recommended to go for new upholstery instead of restoring an old one. New upholstery brings variety in materials, designs, effects to your boat. Multi-colored covers, though, slightly adds to the increase of cost but fairly looks better.
Likewise, if you count for upholstery your hood-top, interior and body paint along with seats, it certainly increases the cost. The professionals doing upholstery gives estimated to cost only after assessing the entire work. The upholstery work takes days or weeks depending on the workload.
How Much Does Boat Upholstery Cost?
You can also get an estimated price from the manufacturer of the boat by indicating your requirements to include in the upholstery. Or, you can also get an estimated cost from family-owned upholstery services, in which they will give an estimate after assessing the entire job, and that may cost you slight cheaper because they may utilize existing seat frames, mooring and hatch covers.
The cost will also depend on the type of fabric being used, the number of seats, parts included and the service charges. Vinyl fabrics are mostly used in marine upholstery, costs about $40 to $60 per square yard. A sample upholstery job for layback seats using existing hardware and seat box estimate costs between $600 and $1200 each. For more details on the material, quality, sizes and upholstery service you may visit the following website.
If you think that your boat is not looking as beautiful as once it was or something just isn’t right no matter how much you try and take care of your boat then these are all the things that you would need to improve the look of your boat and maintain it as well. You can see here all about the equipment and about the components that are used in the construction. You can upgrade and also make your boat look more fancy and beautiful by just adding these to your boat. Just simply look for what you need and what you want to upgrade in your boat. You can choose what suits you well. All of these are the best-recommended equipment for your boat and these will surely make your boat look a lot more beautiful. You can look for the things that you need to upgrade in your boat and then choose what you need from these items.